Friday, September 14, 2007

tips and tots


I've been eating, breathing, dreaming Olive Garden, filling out day care papers, worrying about my babies, and wondering about how my family is feeding themselves. There's so much to do and it's all happening so fast the road beneath me is a blur and I worry I'll get run over if I don't keep running, but when I risk a quick glance in the rear view I'm impressed and inspired with the distance I've come (well, we, really) with little to no damage. It's enough to revive me and provide me with the hope I need to stay my path.

Tonight was my first night soloing as a server in about 5 years, and it happened to be a very busy Friday night. I kept afloat and even had three separate tables tell me they'd request me the next time they came in. Everyone I work with is so supportive and encouraging, it makes this all so much easier.

Claire cried this morning because she couldn't go to "school" today, while Josh reminded me on my way out the door that he did NOT want to go. He is very fond of his birthday gifts and really was offended that he had to leave them so soon after receiving them yesterday. Over all though, those little babies are doing very well with the sudden 6 hour days away from familiarity. Still though, I stress for them imagining how terrorizing it would have felt for me at their ages.

I miss cuddling them and kissing every scrape. I dread the day I find I don't know what they are talking about because I wasn't there for the background, or to find I can't understand what they're saying or what they know because I wasn't the one who witnessed what happened or taught them what they're explaining. I worry and hope that they'll continue to be stretched and encouraged and comforted as if their every fear and cut was the priority to be addressed and mended. They're gone 4 days a week for the active 6 hours of each day. Will I still have enough time to be their main influence? I have to find a way to ensure they don't feel I'm abandoning them. I know that what I'm doing is for my family and is necessary at this stage of our lives, but by the time they're old enough to know that, will it be too late? Will they already have it engrained in their fragile minds that Mommy left them? Will they still cry out for me when they fall, or will it be some name I can't pronounce? These are the things I wonder when I come home to a dark house of emptied play things and no used dishes.

I have the next two days off. Maybe my confidence in my choices will be elevated after some good quality family time. I hope so. Winning the affection of an Olive Garden patron is flattering, but I can't survive without the faith and security of my family, money or not.

9 comments:

Michelle Hawkes said...

I guess we do need to catch up!! I tried to call your 502 phone number, but it said it was disconnected. How do I get a hold of you? Yes, we did find out the gender of the new baby. Want to take a guess? :)

renwai said...

I hope you've had a wonderful day on this day off with your beautiful babies. Your account was heartfelt in more than just you heart.
Mom

renwai said...

Why is it that my most prevalent typo is leaving the "r" off of the word "your." I do this with such frequency it must be some kind of an anomaly. Sorry.

jenhirr said...

hmmm bruschetta bread. Love you and miss you guys!

Jaren Watson said...

Oh True, Sweet, Dear Love,
You are a gift from above.
Oh Sweet, Dear, True Love,
Our lives fit like a glove.
Oh Love, Sweet, Dear True,
You smell nothing like poo.

am and fm said...

I am so amazed with you and I am just beginning to get to know you! While I do miss you and your sweet little ones at playgroup I am sincerely impressed at your strength and balance in life! We must get together again soon...you tell me when busy lady!

charityeve said...

I have Friday off, wanna play? Lets go somewhere fun. Any suggestions?

How was baby book reading today? I really wanted to go. I had a great book all picked out and everything.

Oh, enough with the head candy--your burning my cheeks off! I liked you instantly, and you're getting better and better (in spite of all the embarrassing compliments). I can't wait to see you and your beautiful little dolls again.

Jaren Watson said...

No way wifey. You're going to play with me Friday. That's today, by the way. Let's go swimming. P.S. I love you forever.

Emily G said...

Charity, I love reading your posts, even though they leave me feeling bittersweet and even leaning a bit towards sad because I know you are facing things you'd rather not face, but you are facing them with such radiance and courage and maternal instinct that you are glowing. Take all of that as a compliment....it's hard for me to word this right. I miss you, in a nutshell.