Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A Child's Prayer


Claire wasn't really thrilled with the idea of holding silent and still for family prayer this evening. She was upset that we wouldn't let her watch another 20 minutes of
Sailor Moon, and refused to fold her arms. She was mumbling a quiet tune "fighting evil in the moonlight..." I had settled for the small victory of a quiet song and a still body and was already into the prayer. I asked the Lord to bless Nerfertiti, unwilling to repeat the many previous, specific pleas to have her returned to us. I felt the bed shake as Claire jolted to attention, and with a fervent plea shouted, "and make sure she has somewhere warm to sleep!" I unsuccessfully fought the mental urge to point out that would be an easy blessing to fulfill, being an Arizona August night. It was a sweet request and I should focus on the prayer, not selfish pessimism. I repeated her request and attempted to close when another one leaped forth. "And please help her to find some sticks and mud to make a bed."

I had worried about how I could explain to Claire why it was that her prayers to have her cat come home hadn't been answered with a yes. I was bracing myself for the conversation, unsure myself why. Tonight she taught me something about faith and trusting in the Lord.

2 comments:

renwai said...

I'm in tears. Oh, how I love that little girl.
Thanks for sharing.
Grandma

Emily G said...

I'm so excited to come I'm so excited to come I'm so excited to come I'm so excited to come I'm so excited to come I'm so excited to come I'm so excited to come I'm so excited to come I'm so excited to come I'm so excited to come I'm so excited to come I'm so excited to come I'm so excited to come and I even just typed all that out and didn't even copy and paste it.

Charity, I'm sorry about Nefertiti. Claire is brilliant that she asked about sticks and mud and not just to have her back. It's amazing how unbrilliant my prayers have become in comparison. I'm truly excited to spend some time staying up until four with you. Rest easy so we can play hard.